Image Map

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Previous PR Blown Out of the Water

Good Morning and Happy Wednesday friends! My day is off to a good start so far, for no reason in particular, but that's A-OK with me. Let's just jump straight to the point though, shall we? It's Weigh-In Wednesday today, and so of course I'm linking up with Alex and Erin just like usual!


Initial Starting Weight = 227
January Starting Weight = 217
Last Week, April 10 = 190
Today, April 17 = 192.4

Womp, womp, womp... A 2.4 pound gain  from last week. Excellent news, right? I think I've only reported a gain one other time in the last three months of this journey, and that wasn't fun either. I've had weeks where I've stayed the same (and that was frustrating, but understandable), but this is just annoying. Let me be clear though, it's not discouraging, it's just annoying. And I really can only be frustrated with myself. Because I think I know how this happened. FOOD. 

I've discovered on this weight loss journey that you can't get healthier by only eating right. And you also can't get healthier by only working out. For me (and I'm assuming lots of others as well), I absolutely must be doing both of those things in order for this to work. I've preached it before, but last weekend I kind of lost sight of that. I know that I can't just eat back all my exercise calories and still expect to lose weight. And I certainly can't eat extra calories on days I don't exercise at all. Bad idea Halez, bad idea.

So what was I eating?? Hmmm...Thursday and Friday nights I basically just had a crap ton of movie theater popcorn as my dinner, with a Hershey's bar as well on Thursday. Then Saturday was our beach day, and I split fried crab claws and cheese fries with Jeff. Then Sunday night we went to Jersey Mike's and we split a giant Philly Cheesesteak. (That was Jeff's idea, and while I tried to resist it/him for a minute or two, eventually I caved and ate my whole half. And it was sooo delicious.) And then last night an older couple from Jeff's church had us over for dinner, and we had chili and a chili hot dog or two

Seeing it all written out like that is rough y'all. I mean yikes, Halez. What were you thinking with all that mess? No wonder I have to report a gain this week! Because even though I was still working out a bit, there was no amount of working out that could have balanced out all of that awful food. And I'm learning that the hard way today! 

But, here's what my workouts looked like this past week:
Wednesday: ab class with my Aunt on our lunch break, with our co-workers (242 cals) & 1-mile run (232 cals)
Thursday: 60 minutes of Zumba (552 cals)
Tuesday: 1-mile run and 60 minutes of Zumba (804 cals)

Also, I didn't realize how many days I skipped working out, until right now when I wrote that recap. Again, no wonder I'm reporting a gain this week! But, you guys know how I like to make my exercise collages for Instagram :)

Ab class last Wednesday
1-mile run from last Wednesday
1-mile run and Zumba from yesterday (Tuesday)

But enough talk about my crappy food and that I skipped four days of working out for no particular reason... I have a great non-scale victory to share! (And link up with Katie!) Yesterday right before it was time to leave work, I was not feeling like running before Zumba. So I posted on Facebook and Twitter that I didn't want to, and that I needed motivation. And I got some great motivation from lots of awesome friends and ladies. And it was just what I needed to get out there are run! And run I did. And I ran fast, apparently. Because I blew my old PR out of the water! My previous PR was 13:39, from March 28, and yesterday I ran it in 12:32!! Meaning I beat my old time by a full 1 minute and 7 seconds. Holy crap people! So thank you, thank you to those of you who commented on my FB status or replied to my tweet, because I know you guys are what helped this to happen yesterday. And it felt amazing!!


So even though I'm having to report a gain today for my weigh-in, I'm OK. I'm not letting it get to me. I'm staying positive and I'm going to keep going strong! Well, actually, I need to get stronger, and learn how to say NO to crappy foods! That's my goal this next week - don't eat so unhealthy. Sheesh. Hopefully I'll be back to where I was, or maybe down into the 180's by next Wednesday! We'll just have to wait and see. Oh, and I hadn't actually bought a new gym bag yet for reaching my goal last week, so I guess that's a good thing since I'm not 190 anymore. When I get there again, then I'll actually get one for sure!

Until next week my friends. Stay positive and motivated and encouraged and keep on truckin'! We can do this!

22 comments:

Michelle said...

That's a good attitude! I'm trying to lose all my baby weight (my son will be 2 next month, so now seems like a good time, lol!) and I have bad days too. It's so important to get back on the horse and I'm preaching to the choir because I used to let one bad day ruin my whole diet.

Keep up the good work! :)

Anonymous said...

I really need to motivate myself more to walk/run. Even if it's only around the block with the dog...I need some sort of activity.

Kerri Mansell said...

Congrats on the PR! I totally agree with you about the whole eating thing, it's so tough to stay on track. I'm liking your positive attitude of not letting it get you down. Keep kicking butt! :)

This is my first time commenting but just thought you should know that I enjoy reading your blog! I always feel like I can relate to you :)

Happy Wednesday!

Kerri
journeyofacountrygirl.blogspot.ca

Stephanie said...

Good for you!! Awesome job on your PR! :) I appreciate your positive outlook. :)

The Teacher Jenny said...

Looks like there are gains all over the link up today so it must have just been the week. Way to go on your PR how amazing!!!! You are doing fantastic :)

Megan said...

I still think you look awesome :)

Jen @ That's What She Read said...

you're doing great, keep up the good work, this is an inspiring post to read! even if you did gain a meesley 2 lbs, you're working out like a champ!

Kristyn @ Carolina Fireflies said...

you are still doing awesome despite the gain this week! way to go on your PR! that is seriously something to be proud of!

Kate said...

Nice job on the PR! Gain weeks suck, but thank goodness you have an indomitable attitude! You'll be back with a loss next week!

Limefreckle said...

oh why does everything that tastes so good have to be so bad? I feel you on trying to get the food thing under control..it's really the only way to succeed! here's hoping we can do it!

Postcards from Rachel said...

Eating healthy is so difficult. Especially when you go out to eat. We've been trying to eat at home more and I won't let B put anything "bad" into the grocery cart. It's working so far. But I eat a chocolate bar every week....

Laura Darling said...

I just downloaded that runkeeper app the other day - do you like it? I've only used it a few times so far!

Unknown said...

Great attitude and great losses in total!

Unknown said...

You are doing awesome! I am struggling struggling to get out of the dang 200's... do you love your Polar monitor? I am thinking I might have to invest in one very soon!

Sarah
mamasgotittogether.com

Chrissy said...

Congrats on the PR girl!

Unknown said...

I love your attitude! Congrats on the PR!

Madalyn said...

Such a great motivational post for me. I hadn't lost any weight for at least 6 weeks and to hear that it's okay is such a reassuring thing for me to hear. Congrats on your timed run! It seems like maybe you needed those days off last week to rest to get ready for your new PR!

Have a GREAT week!
Madalyn

Unknown said...

You're doing great! I have a hard time wanting to get all of my workouts in during the week. It's got to be what I'm missing though.
Happy Lil' Friday,
Laurie
Lulu and Daisy

Ashley @ Downsizing said...

Congrats on your PR! I just started following from the Non-scale victories linkup :)

Ashley @ http://downsizingashley.blogspot.com/

a happier girl said...

Nice job improving your pace so much! That's so great! And keep staying positive and it'll show on the scale eventually!

Dara @ Not In Jersey said...

It is so hard not to be able to eat yummy food at all while dieting. And never being able to skip working out. It's just so hard! Great job on the mile pr!

KTJ said...

That is an amazing time! Good for you for getting out there and running! We all have bad weeks and slip up from time to time, don't be too hard on yourself! You are well on your way to being right back on track :)